Rabu, 29 Oktober 2014

Lace Curtains... A very British tradition

ads

Vintage French lace curtain
Vintage crochet lace
Scrap lace curtain with Tassle trim

As I walked home from a bar in Doidrech, Holland last year I was astounded at the amount of homes that had their lights on with the inside of their living rooms on full display for the world to see. .... and Gasp.....there wasn't a lace curtain in sight!!

I suppose you could say the lace curtain has made a bit of a world wide come back in Interior design because of the 'Shabby Chic' obsession of the 2000's, and although I wouldnt proclaim to be a fan of the Shabby chic look even I do like a good lace curtain....

 The obsession with lace curtains, I have been told is a very British obsession. I grew up with them and even have them in my home now..... I guess I just hate the idea of 'living in a goldfish bowl' as my dad puts it. Here in the UK even our former wild child Pop stars such as Pearl Lowe (Daisy's Mum and former front woman of Brit pop band Powder)  designing a rangein the 2000's.

Although there are some pretty grim curtains out there there are also some beautiful handmade curtains to be found.  Another option is to join a variety of laces, trims and delicate doilies together, like image 1 or cut squares of old lace to make a scrap curtain (image 6), to create a unique curtain of your own.

With the renewed interest in Macrame, crochet and knitting I recon lace making may not be too far behind!! What do you think?




Lace Curtains... A very British tradition Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: yourhomeart
 

Top